Thursday, September 9, 2010

Recollections: Ambulances and RVs

IN WHICH OUR SEIZURE-RIDDEN HEROINE BOARDS AN AMBULANCE AND OTHER FUN FOLLOWS.


I remember waking up on the gurney and being lifted into the ambulance. That bed was dreadfully uncomfortable just under the back of the head and the upper back area. Of course, my head was strapped down. Eva, much to my swiftly-draining comfort, was strapped into her car seat off to my right. The paramedics were kind and capable—I wish I knew their names! Kirsten rode in the front, and tells me that the road was full of tourists and RV’s, each one of them in our way. As we sped down the mountain, I remember that at one point the driver really put the pedal to the floor and everything shook and rocked, and I almost fell out of the bed. I felt panicky and thought I was losing consciousness a few times. And my face is the wrong shape for those oxygen masks, apparently a little too fat around the mouth. One size does not fit all. There was never enough oxygen, EVER. Maybe at this point I was already going into Must-Live-Now mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment